A World Class Travel Destination – Lake Tahoe
Located between California and Nevada, west of Carson City with freshwater and alluring geographical features is the largest freshwater lake in North America – Lake Tahoe. Of all the winter recreational areas in the United States, the Sierra Nevada which is home to Lake Tahoe reportedly experiences the heaviest snowfalls. With the mountainous communities and impressive outlook, Lake Tahoe is one of the best travel destinations in the US and haven to a lot of winter sports; majority of the time, tourists visit between mid-November and April to ski and snowboard.
Skiing and Snowboarding are the major recreational activities of holiday makers to Lake Tahoe, most of the ski resorts are listed below:
- Donner Ski Ranch is located on the Donner Pass, it is small-sized.
- Sugar Bowl Ski Resort is one of the medium-sized resorts located on the Donner Pass.
- Boreal Mountain Resort is another small-sized ski area located on the Donner Pass.
- Sierra-at-Tahoe is medium- sized located at the south shore ski area.
- Diamond Peak is a small ski area located in Incline Village, Nevada.
- Squaw Valley is the second largest ski area known to have hosted the winter Olympics in the past. It is located near Tahoe City.
- Heavenly Mountain Resort is the largest ski area in California and Nevada located near Stateline.
- Alpine Meadows is of medium size and located on the north shore few miles from Squaw Valley.
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort is located in the Tahoe region; it gets more snow than any other ski area in this region.
- Homewood Mountain Resort is a medium-sized ski area located in north-east of Lake Tahoe.
While North and South Lake Tahoe regions are hot spots for skiing, snowboarding is also a common recreational activity. Also, there are many other winter activities to participate in around the Lake such as Sledding, Snowshoeing, Snow-tubing, Snowmobile riding and Sleigh riding among others. For instance, Heavenly Mountain and Sierra-at-Tahoe Resorts is home to sledding and snow-tubing; sliding on machine groomed hills such as the Adventure Mountain Lake Tahoe; snow-tubing is a popular activity in most ski areas around Tahoe such as Squaw Valley. There are also lots of public and private sled parks throughout Tahoe some of which are equipped with rope tows for ease.